Pages

Monday 28 July 2014

18 Month Update


I'm going to ease myself back into blogging over the next few days, needless to say job hunting is taking priority but I miss blogging in general and I have a few things I'd like to post about.

I just thought I'd update you all a little on Henry now he's turned 18 months old.






Milestones

Now he's 18 months he's pretty much hit all those huge milestones. Obviously there are still milestones to come, but they're a lot more spread out now. It's amazing how quickly they develop from newborns to toddlers in such a short space of time! I think the next big one is obviously talking but it's coming in dribs and drabs.






Sleeping

Has improved recently, with the exception of illness and teething he can sleep through now-usually 3 or 4 times a week. After I finished uni we decided it was time to sleep train and move him out of our bed. Although I quite liked it, getting kicked in the face multiple times a night and having him wake up for a midnight milk snack was not ideal so we decided to be firm and set about making him sleep in his cot, in his own room and cut out the comfort feed. We loosely based it on the no-cry sleep solution as I could never do controlled crying. The first night was awful. It took me two hours to get him to self-settle to sleep but after that it got a lot easier. 

Eating
Loads! He's hoovering up food at the moment, I think possibly he's due a growth spurt but usually he has something to eat around every two to three hours. Breakfast is at 7, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 2, and 4, dinner at 6 followed by his bottle of milk before bed. The last few days though he's been constantly wanting to eat. His favourite snacks are strawberries, banana and biscuits. He likes some veg but I'm going to make more of a conscious effort to offer it as a snack too, especially now he has quite a few teeth and munching on some carrot shouldn't be a problem.


Teeth
I think last time I did an update Henry had just cut tooth number 4... he's just cut number 9! He's had two big molars come up on the bottom and top and the one next to his bottom front teeth has appeared as well over the last few days. He's quite grumpy, bless him.

Speech
We reckon he has about 20-25 words and sounds now. I think he's a little behind with it but I'm sure he'll get there in the end.
He can say: choo whoo for train, buh buh for bye bye, woof woof for a dog, miaow miaow for a cat, neigh for a horse, ball, car (for both cars and keys), no, gone, uh oh, he's taken to calling both me and Loz dada, but he can say mumma too! Tractor, baa baa for a sheep, hello... there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head!

Loving
The park! He loves nothing better then running round, going on the swings, kicking a football, going down the slide... It's my go-to place now if he's getting grumpy as I know he'll tire himself out and have lots of fun. It gets us both out the house in his beautiful weather too, although I try to avoid the hottest times of the day. 


Weight
He's now 21lbs! I took him to get weighed a few weeks back and he's hovering just above the 9th centile so still following his line which I'm happy about.


General
Toddler tantrums are in full swing and we're learning how to cope with them, they can be anything from little wails because he threw his ball and he wants it back, to full out hissy fits on the floor when he's doing something he shouldn't and we tell him off. He's definitely testing boundaries and we're trying very hard to be consistent and not give mixed signals. It is hard though, especially with things like throwing balls. Finding a way of teaching him, it's ok to throw a ball outside but not to throw his megablocks is difficult when they don't quite have the comprehension as to why they can throw one and not throw the other!



No comments:

Post a Comment